Tuesday 28 October 2014

Top Ten Tuesday | Books & Movies To Get Into The Halloween Spirit

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke And The Bookish. Lists galore, I can think of nothing better!

This week's topic is books and movies to get into the Halloween spirit. I am not great with scary things so this may be quite a mild list in terms of scare factor but they all get me in the Halloween mood.

Books

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This book is just the right amount of creepy for me. While I didn't love this book (review here), I do think it is a good one for getting you into the Halloween spirit. Mystery and messed up characters, what more do you need?

2. Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is slightly similar to Gone Girl in the sense that is is more of a creepy mystery. This is another book that I didn't love, I rated in 3 stars, but it is a great Halloween time read that will keep you guessing.

3. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Harry Potter always reminds me of Halloween because what is more Halloween-y than witches and wizards? This is a great read for getting into the Halloween spirit if you are someone who, like me, is not a huge fan of super scary things.

4. Underworld by Cathy MacPhail
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I read this book in school a few years ago and had nightmares for weeks. Five teenagers get trapped in an underground cave and strange things begin to happen to them. It was a pretty creepy book as a 13/14 year old and I haven't got much braver since then so I'm guessing it would still give me nightmares.

5. Girl, Missing by Sophie McKenzie
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is another book I read in school but have since reread it and still really enjoyed it. A teenage girl finds out she is registered as a missing person while doing research for a school project. It is quite creepy and some parts did freak me out but it is not anything super scary. 

Movies

1. Halloweentown movies
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have seen all of the Halloweentown movies and I am not at all ashamed of that. I loved these movies when I was younger and still watch them around Halloween to get me in the spirit without scaring myself senseless. They are great family movies for this time of year.

2. Twitches & Twitches Too
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yes, more Disney Channel movies and no, I am still not ashamed. I loved Tia & Tamera when I was younger and used to love these movies. I haven't watched them for a couple of years but they are more great family movies for this time of year.

3. Shutter Island
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I love this movie but it is damn creepy, to me anyway. This is the kind of movie I would class as scary, though many would probably see this is not at all scary. The movie very much revolves around the mystery aspect and you never know what will happen next.

4. Insidious
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This movie genuinely terrified me, but I did actually enjoy it for the most part. It is not so much scary but the type of film to make you jumpy and I am that person who jumps at everything. I haven't seen the second film yet but that may be one for this year.

5. Dark Skies
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I surprised myself by really liking this movie. Admittedly, it did also scare me half to death but I did enjoy it. It's not what I expected it to be but it is definitely creepy. For some reason, scary movies involving children always get me in the mood for Halloween by scary me senseless.

Those are my top 5 books and top 5 movies for getting into the Halloween spirit. What are yours?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment