Wednesday 8 April 2015

Haul | March 2015

I should learn by now that putting myself on a book buying ban is the one way to guarantee I buy a ton of books. In the month of March, I decided that I needed to reward myself after a really tough week of uni work and, of course, there is only one way to reward yourself: with books! I also had a gift card to spend so decided to brave the dangerous (for my bank account) world of Waterstones, that always ends in books.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach - This is a book that I have been wanting to read since I read the synopsis while researching 2015 debuts. It was released towards the end of March and when the reviews started, they were pretty mixed. That made me a little unsure about buying this book but the very persuasive woman in Waterstones told me how much the people at Head Office were raving about it so I had to pick it up. It was also part of a 'buy one, get one half off' offers so I couldn't really resist. This is about a group of teenagers who want to rid themselves of the labels given to them before the world is destroyed by an asteroid. This just seems like the perfect mix of contemporary and science fiction, it's intriguing.

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven - I'll be completely honest and admit that this is a book I had very little intention of reading. However, it was the only one in the 'buy one, get one half off' offer that I had heard anything about so I decided to give it a go. I know very little about this book other than it being about a guy and a girl who are both suffering from mental health problems. I have heard very mixed things about this so I am interested to see what I think.

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger - This is another book I had very little intention of reading, until I watched the movie trailer. I have heard several people say the trailer looks at though the movie will be nothing like the book, but I would still like to read the book before watching the movie, no matter how different they turn out to be. I know very little about this book, other than what the movie trailer advertised, but I believe it is about a girl who is labelled the 'Designated Ugly Fat Friend' by the school 'jock' and they may develop some kind of relationship, I'm not entirely sure.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - I have wanted to read this book since it first came out so I cannot believe it has taken me this long to get my hands on it. This is about a girl who writes letters to all the boys she has ever had a crush on and hides them under her bed, until one day the letters are sent out. I loved the idea of this book from the second I heard about it, and with the second book being published in May, it was about time I picked it up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Amy & Rodger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - I got this as an audiobook from Audible but after listening to the first chapter, which included things like a report card and route plan, I decided it would probably be better to read this one, rather than listen to it. I had really liked the first chapter, however, so as soon as I had an excuse to buy books I went on Amazon for this one. This is about a girl whose family is moving across the country and it is up to her to get the car there. To do this, she enlists the help of family friend, Rodger and they embark on a road trip together.

Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone - It is common knowledge that if Amazon offers free delivery on orders over £10, you need to buy more books. Of course, this was the case when buying Amy & Rodger's Epic Detour so I had to pick up some other books. I found this one for a pretty good price and it is one I have had on my Goodreads 'To Read' shelf for a while. This is about a girl living in 1995 and a boy living in 2012, however he has the ability to time travel. 

Daughter by Jane Shemilt - This was another book I picked up to spend enough for free delivery. I have heard quite a lot about this book, and as I have been reading a lot more of the mystery/thriller genre recently, I thought this would be something I would enjoy. It is about a woman whose daughter disappears and things may be more complicated than they appear.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters - I have never even heard of this book before but while at uni the other day waiting to have a meeting with one of my tutors, one of the women in the administration office handed me this book. Apparently they had a lot of copies and were giving them away to anyone who reads. I am definitely not the person to turn down a free book so I took the book from her and have added it to my collection. I believe this is historical fiction with some supernatural elements, which is something out of my comfort zone, but I will give it a go.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Grey's Anatomy by Chris Van Dusen - I am a huge Grey's Anatomy fan. Like HUGE! As soon as I found out, thanks to Wikipedia, that one of the producers had written two short stories based on the show, one from the point of view of a nurse (Notes From The Nurses' Station), and another from the point of view of Joe the Bartender (Overheard At The Emerald City Bar). Though these stories are set back during the first few seasons of the show, I still had to have them and managed to find this book on Amazon Marketplace.

The Real Grey's Anatomy by Andrew Holtz - While buying the book above, I was recommended various related books, as you are with Amazon, and this one caught my eye. It would seem I was in the mood for slightly unusual books relating to Grey's Anatomy that day. This is about the reality of life as a surgical resident in comparison to that on the TV show. I am really interested in the process of becoming a doctor so I think this will be quite insightful.

The Medical Science Of House MD by Andrew Holtz - This was another book that Amazon recommended to me and is quite similar to the previous book. This explains the reality of the medicine behind the interested cases in the TV show, House. I love House and was always intrigued by the medicine aspect, which makes this very interesting to me.

Literary Listography by Lisa Nola - I wasn't sure whether or not to include this book in my haul as it is not a traditional book in the sense that it can be read. However, it is related to books. This is essentially, as the full title suggests, your reading life in lists. It has any kind of reading related list you can think of and is perfect for my obsessive list-making self. 

Those are all of the books I added to my collection in March. Have you read any of these books? What are your thoughts?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment