Thursday 14 May 2015

Review | Can't Let You Go by Jenny B Jones

Image and video hosting by TinyPicCan't Let You Go by Jenny B Jones
Series: Katie Parker Production #4
Published On: September 20, 2014
Published By: Sweet Pea Productions
Genre: Contemporary/Christian Fiction
Pages: 250
Format: eBook
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★★

Amazon | Goodreads

An old love whose kisses make her weak, but whose secrets threaten to destroy all she holds dear... 
  Fresh out of college, Katie Parker had it all—a charming romance, a role in a famous stage production, and an idyllic life in London. Until she found her boyfriend cheating and got herself fired from the play. Leaving everything behind, Katie hops a plane home, only to run into her first love, Charlie Benson. As the couple returns to In Between, Katie questions everything she ever thought she wanted—including a renewed romance with her high school flame. 
  While she attempts to rebuild her life, Katie's plan to manage the family’s theater meets a devastating obstacle, dragging her into a legal battle that will rock her small town. And the boy who once broke her heart seems to have the power to do it again. As Charlie’s secrets unravel, Katie must make a choice. Can she overcome her past and trust Charlie with her heart again?


As this is the fourth book in a series, there is little I can give in way of a synopsis without spoiling the previous books. I have a mini review on the first three books in the Katie Parker Productions series, which you can check out to find out more. This series follows Katie Parker as she settles into a new town with her latest foster parents. In the fourth book in the series, we follow Katie several years after book three, The Big Picture, as a young woman in her twenties.

As far as I know, this is the last book in the Katie Parker series and as soon as I heard about it I had to read it. I developed such an attachment to this series after reading the first books that I was both excited to read more about these characters and sad to be reading the final book in the series.

I love everything about this series and that did not change in the fourth book. I absolutely love the characters. They are all very relatable in their own individual ways. Katie, our main character, is one of the most relatable characters I have read about. In many ways, I am exactly like her, which I think makes me love this series even more. The side characters are all great as well, with many of them, Maxine for one, being truly hilarious characters that I would love to have in my life. I also loved the setting. There’s something about a small town setting that I really enjoy and when a small town comes together for one purpose, I love the sense of community portrayed.

Though I loved Katie in the first three books, it was great to read about her as a young woman rather than a teenage girl. Being in my twenties myself, I could relate to her even more. It was, however, great to see that ‘grown up’ Katie was still very much like the Katie I have grown to love. Characters are forever becoming magically mature overnight, and as a twenty-year-old who still feels like a sixteen-year-old, I appreciate the fact that this did not happen to Katie, it felt much more realistic.

I would like my own Charlie Benson please. I love Charlie, both in earlier books and in this one, and think his inclusion in this book made it even better for me. If someone could find me one, that would be great.

Besides the great characters, setting and plot, Jenny B Jones’ writing style really makes this book, and series as a whole. It takes someone very special and extremely talented to make you laugh that much, yet still have the ability to make you cry. Her writing is so witty and laugh-out-loud funny but the emotional, touching moments are also done so well.

I really did not want this book to end. I love this series and these characters as if they are old friends, which made it very hard to accept that this series, as far as I know anyway, is over, at least for now. However, as difficult as it was to see this book end, the ending was great and, I think, the perfect conclusion.

Overall, I loved this book just as I did the rest of the series. Not only is this just a great series, but also it is a very good introduction into the Christian Fiction genre. This is the kind of series I would happily have in my life forever and has introduced me to an author whose books I would pick up without question. Katie, and the side characters in the book, has become like a friend to me and that itself is evidence of just how well written these books are. I would recommend the Katie Parker series to anyone, and this fourth book simply added to the greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment