Thursday 18 June 2015

Mini Reviews | A Mixed Bag

I started doing some mini reviews at the start of the year for those books that I don't have loads to say about. There are times when I read a book but when it comes to reviewing it, there isn't enough to say to make up a full review. I don't want these books to go unnoticed, however, so mini reviews are perfect. In these reviews I will mention a few things I liked about the book, and a few things I did not like.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And That's When It Fell Off In My Hand (#5), Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers (#6) and Startled By His Furry Shorts (#7) by Louise Rennison
Series: Confessions Of Georgia Nicholson series
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: 2004 (#5), 2005 (#6) & 2006 (#7)
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 269 (#5), 310 (#6) & 272 (#7)
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: These are very quick, fun reads, particularly because they are written in the form of diary entries. The interesting, and slightly odd, characters make these books even more enjoyable and add to the hilarity of the stories told. These stories are your typical high school drama and boy problems but with the addition of complete madness.
What I Disliked: As I am 20 and these books are aimed at girls much younger than me, I do find these books to be a little immature. As a 14/15 year old, I would have loved them but now, though I do enjoy them, I do have some problems relating to the characters and their situations. I also had a few problems with book 6 in the series as there were some characters I couldn't quite take to.
Rating: Book 5 - ★★★
Book 6 - ★★½
Book 7 - ★★★


Image and video hosting by TinyPicHarry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets by JK Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #2
Published By: Bloomsbury
Published On: May 28, 1999
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 251
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I enjoyed this book much more than I did the first book in the series. I had seen the first movie so many times that I knew exactly what was coming throughout the book. For this one, however, I had only seen the movie once and remembered almost nothing about it. This made the book much more enjoyable as it was more of a surprise. As with the first book, I really like the characters and the Hogwarts setting, and found it to be extremely well written.
What I Disliked: There is very little that I disliked about this book, and in fact my issues have nothing to do with the book itself. There is so much pressure to love these books and I find it harder to enjoy them because of that. I also feel slightly less connected with the characters as they are so well loved by everyone. It is as if they are someone else's friends so I can't be there friend, if that makes any sense to anyone other than me.
Rating: ★★★★



Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Published By: Hodder
Published On: March 21, 2008
Genre: Adult Fiction
Pages: 512
Format: eBook
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: As a law student, I found some of the legal aspects of this book to be interesting. Obviously this is fictional but some of the legal points made were quite though-provoking.
What I Disliked: Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start for things I disliked. This was not at all what I was expecting, though I don't know what that was exactly. I found this to be very boring and repetitive. It definitely did not need to be over 500 pages as everything seemed to be repeated multiple times. What should have been a heart-breaking story did nothing for me, I just wanted it to be over.
Rating: ★★

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment