Tuesday 23 June 2015

Top 6 | Books I Have Read So Far In 2015

The top ten books you have read so far this year is the topic of next week's Top Ten Tuesday. However, I won't be around next week as I will be busy running about after about a group of 8-12 year olds (I'm a leader at a summer camp, it's not as weird as it sounds!), so I decided to do this list this week instead. I decided to narrow it down to the top 5, as some books I would be including in my top ten were just reasonably good, rather than great. As I expected, though, I couldn't choose between two so ended up picking my top 6.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
I didn't intend for these to be in any kind of order but this is probably my favourite book I have read so far this year. I put off finishing this series as I had heard so many mixed reviews of Allegiant; some people completely loved it, while others hated it so much they refuse to keep it on their shelf. I was, obviously, one of those who loved it. I thought it was a great ending to the series and, despite the controversy surrounding the way the book ended, I think Veronica Roth did a fantastic job of concluding the series. I have a full review of this book here where you can read more of my raving.

2. The Selection series by Kiera Casss
I decided to include the first three books in The Selection series - The Selection, The Elite and The One - as one, because collectively they are definitely next in line after Allegiant when it comes to favourites of the year. I absolutely loved the first three books in the series, despite hearing many mixed review, and though I wouldn't consider the fourth book, The Heir, as a favourite of the year, I did still enjoy it. I have a review of all three books - The Selection, The Elite and The One - if you want to know more of my thoughts.

3. How To Fall In Love by Cecelia Ahern
This is the last of my five star books I have read so far this year. This is only the second book I have read by Cecelia Ahern, with the first being my beloved Where Rainbows End, and I was very impressed. I really wanted to love this book, considering how much I loved my first of her books, and I was so relieved when I loved it. Cecelia Ahern has this incredible talent of taking something as serious and solemn as suicide and making it light-hearted and funny, while still being sensitive and respectful of the subject matter. I don't have a review of this one yet but it will be coming soon.

4. Ignite by Lily Paradis
This may have been a four star read from me but it was still great. This was my first experience of the New Adult genre and it has definitely made me want to read more. I loved this story, particularly the aspect of the main character suddenly becoming responsible for three children, but also the romance aspect. The characters were great and I became so immersed in their story. I have a full review of this one here if you want to know more.

5. I Was Here by Gayle Forman
This is another book relating to suicide, but it is completely different from How To Fall In Love. This was definitely a more serious take on the subject but it was still very enjoyable. The characters are very relatable and I enjoyed reading about them. More importantly, this was a great story of friendship and family and it really touched me. I don't have a full review of this one yet but I will have very soon.

6. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
This is the only 'light and fluffy' contemporary I have amongst my favourite books of the year so far because, surprisingly for me, I haven't read that many. This was a very quirky take on the usual contemporary love story. The main character was very different from the usual, though great, and even the setting was quite unusual. There wasn't really anything particularly stand out about this book but I did really enjoy it. I will have a full review of this coming soon.

So those are my top 6 books of 2015 so far. Have you read any of them? What have your favourites been so far?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment