Monday 8 June 2015

Wrap Up | May 2015

May has been one of the hardest months I have had in a long time, not just of this year so far. However, in order to get away from all of the things going on in my reality, I managed to get a whole lot of books read, mainly in the last two weeks of the month. I read a total of 8 books and a novella, which is more than I think I have ever read in a month.

My Life In May...
- I started the month of May with a weekend away with my family and got to see one of my best friends who lives about two hours away.
- I had the final two out of my three exams, both of which were terrible!
- I spend the day away with some of my closest friends as part of a church event.
- Sadly we had to get our family dog put down in May. It was very unexpected, as he wasn't ill at all, but scans revealed a cancerous mass in his liver which had spread to his lungs and kidneys.
- I ended the month with a two week holiday travelling around England with my mum.
- I got to see the same best friend for the second time in a month which was great (we usually see each other about twice a year).

Watched In May...
- How To Get Away With Murder Season 1 (Part 2) - 3.5/5
- Pitch Perfect 2 - 5/5
- The Last Five Years - 2/5
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 - 5/5

Read In May...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Luuurve Is A Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison -
This is the 8th book in the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series, which I have been slowly working my way through since the end of last year. The books in this series have generally been getting a consistent 3 star rating from me as I find them to be enjoyable but a little immature for my tastes. This instalment was, as with the others, a fun, quick read. 3/5

How To Fall In Love by Cecelia Ahern -
Cecelia Ahern's Where Rainbows End was one of my favourite books I read in 2014, and possibly of all time, and after reading How To Fall In Love, Cecelia Ahern is definitely a favourite author. I absolutely loved this book. It is about a woman who stops a man from jumping off a bridge, who then gives her just two weeks to prove to him that life is worth living. This book is incredibly heart-warming while also being very funny, which was not what I was expecting. Cecelia Ahern is incredible at striking the perfect balance of humour and a very serious topic. 5/5

The Queen by Kiera Cass -
This novella is #0.4 in The Selection series. It follows Amberly, Prince Maxon's mother, as she competes in her Selection. I enjoyed this story as it gave a little more insight into the characters we don't see quite as much of in the books, Maxon's parents. I loved Amberly in the books and though this novella did make her seem a little immature, I did still like her as a character. I do still hate Clarkson though. 4/5

Amy & Rodger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson -
I'm still trying to process my thoughts on this book. I liked it but I didn't love it, which surprises me given all of the raving reviews. This book follows Amy as she embarks in a journey across America with the son of a family friend, Rodger. There was so much I liked about this book; the characters, the road trip aspect, the really great writing and inspiring quotes, the playlists. However, I didn't love it. There was just something, possibly the hype surrounding it, that didn't work for me. 3.75/5

Make It Count by Megan Erickson -
This is the first book in a New Adult companion series centred around a group of students at a university. This first book it about a girl, Kat, who develops feelings for her new tutor, who just happens to be her boyfriend's best friend. I really liked this book to begin with. I thought the characters were great and was enjoying the story but it just became to repetitive for me and got a bit boring after a while. 2.5/5

Stop In The Name Of Pants by Louise Rennison -
This is book 9 in the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series. Like I mentioned already, I think these book are enjoyable, fun reads and they are really quick and easy to get through, but I find them to be slightly immature. I enjoyed this book but not quite as much as I have most of the previous books. There are certain characters which feature a lot in this instalment that I find to be quite annoying, causing me to drop my rating slightly. 2.5/5

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison -
This is the tenth and final book in the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series. I absolutely flew through this last book, despite it being the longest of the series. I really enjoyed this book and thought it was the perfect ending to the series. I did, as with the others in the series, still find it to be a little immature but I know that 15 year old me would have loved this ending. 3.5/5

One Born Every Minute by Maria Dore & Ros Bradbury -
This is a non-fiction book by two of the midwives featured in the first two series of the Channel 4 documentary series. It contains stories about their experience as midwives and lots of information about the work they do. I am very interested in midwifery so I found this to be very interesting and informative. My only issue is the fact that as there were two authors, there is a lot of information repeated. 3/5

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West -
I really enjoyed this book. It is a YA contemporary about a girl who meets a rich boy in the doll store owned by her mother and, despite her dislike of the rich, begins to fall for his charm. I absolutely loved the characters in this book. They are not your average characters, especially the main character Caymen, who is amazingly snarky. I really enjoyed the story and how unique it was compared to the typical YA contemporary. I did find the ending to be very abrupt, which disappointed me slightly. 4/5

Blogged In May...
- I wrapped up April and shared my haul for the month.
- I shared my May TBR.
- I reviewed Ignite by Lily Paradis.
- I reviewed Four by Veronica Roth.

So that is my May wrap up. What did you read in the month of May?

Sophie :)


No comments:

Post a Comment