Monday 14 September 2015

Mini Reviews | Recent Reads

I started doing some mini reviews at the start of the year for those books that I don't have loads to say about. There are times when I read a book but when it comes to reviewing it, there isn't enough to say to make up a full review. I don't want these books to go unnoticed, however, so mini reviews are perfect. In these reviews I will mention a few things I liked about the book, and a few things I did not like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Luuurve Is A Many Trousered Thing (#8) and Stop In The Name Of Pants! (#9) by Louise Rennison
Series: Confessions Of Georgia Nicholson series
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: 2007 (#8) & 2008 (#9)
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 253 (#8) & 286 (#9)
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: These books are very fun, quick and enjoyable reads. I find that these are a great quick read to break up some more serious reading as they don't take too much concentration. They are full of interesting, funny characters, including a very quirky main character, Georgia.
What I Disliked: I have mentioned before that I find these books to be a little immature. These books are aimed towards 14/15 year old girls, so as a 20 year old I do find some of the behaviour to be immature but as I am not the target audience, this doesn't bother me too much. I didn't really like some of the behaviour that seemed to be encouraged throughout these books, for example the way Georgia speaks to and treats her friends sometimes. I liked book 9, Stop In The Name Of Pants!, slightly less than book 8 as it focused more on some characters that I did not like as much.
Rating: Book 8 - ★★★
Book 9 - ★★½

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAre These My Basoomas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison
Series: Confessions Of Georgia Nicholson #10
Published By: Harper Collins
Published On: June 25, 2006
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 315
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: This was a really great ending to a fun series. I thought this conclusion was perfect and the story ended just as it should have, I was very satisfied with the ending. Like I said, the books in this series are quick, fun reads with great characters and this was no exception.
What I Disliked: I had the same issue as always with this instalment in the series. I found some parts to be a bit immature but as I am a bit older than the target audience this can be expected.


Image and video hosting by TinyPicThe Naughtiest Girl In The School by Enid Blyton
Series: The Naughtiest Girl #1
Published By: Hodder
Published On: 1930
Genre: Children's
Pages: 166
Format: eBook
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: This was a reread from my childhood so I found this to be a very nostalgic read. This was just as fun as I remembered it and the characters are great. I loved boarding school stories and I especially love this school and the way it is run.
What I Disliked: As this book is really from a different generation (even my mum read this as a child!) there are a lot of behaviours in the book that were deemed acceptable at the time but not so now. Some of the behaviour promoted in the book would be seen as bullying now and this made it a bit uncomfortable for me to read.
Rating: ★★★

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHarry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban by JK Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #3
Published By: Bloomsbury
Published On: September 8, 1999
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 317
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I liked absolutely everything about this book. I love the Hogwarts setting and enjoyed getting to see some more of the surrounding areas. The characters are great and are starting to become more familiar to me, which is adding to my enjoyment. I also liked that I didn't know what was coming this time. In the previous books, the exciting plot was ruined slightly by the fact I had seen the movie adaptations many times. Luckily, this time I had only seen it once and couldn't remember anything.
What I Disliked: I am still feeling quite a lot of pressure to love these books and that is causing me to enjoy them slightly less than I would otherwise.
Rating: ★★★★

Have you read any of these books? What did you think?

Sophie :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete