Wednesday 4 January 2017

2016 | End Of Year Survey

 photo 2016-end-of-year-book-survey-1024x984-768x738_zpsyeh7yxf0.jpg

I have loved taking part in Jamie's (The Perpetual Page Turner) End Of Year Survey for the past couple of years so of course I'm going to be doing it again for 2016. I will be missing some questions out that I don't have decent answers to, specifically the blogging related questions since I have been a terrible blogger this year. Check out Jamie's post for the complete survey.


 photo reading-stats-2016-1024x278-768x209_zpsd4zy7yud.jpg

Number Of Books You Read: 36
Number Of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: YA Contemporary

 photo best-YA-books-2014-900x244_zpshdw9vgln.jpg

1. Best book you read in 2016?
Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - everyone seems to love this book but it was just average for me. I had a lot of problems with aspects of the plot and that did affect my enjoyment.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre - I didn't expect much from this and was pleasantly surprised that I actually really enjoyed it.

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read (and they did)?
I didn't really do a lot of book pushing in 2016. I made my mum read The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins but she wasn't a fan.

5. Best series you started in 2016? Best sequel of 2016? Best series ender of 2016?
Series started: Flawed by Cecelia Ahern
Sequel: Does Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass count?
Series Ender: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2016?
Jay Asher, Sandy Hall, Kody Keplinger, Corrine Jackson, Ann Aguirre, Cassandra Clare - there were so many!

7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman - I think this is the first YA mystery/thriller I have read and I really enjoyed it. It was the perfect amount of creepy with a great mystery element.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Other than Lying About Last Summer that I just mentioned, The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins was definitely thrilling and unputdownable.

9. Book you read in 2016 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Flawed by Cecelia Ahern - hopefully I can get around to re-reading it before the second book comes out.

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2016?
What Light by Jay Asher - there is no competition here, that cover is absolutely beautiful and possible one of my favourites of all time.

11. Most memorable character of 2016? 
I'm having a hard time remembering many of the characters I read about in 2016, simply because I have a terrible memory! I really loved Caleb from What Light so probably him.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Love Is The Higher Law by David Levithan - 9/11, I can only imagine, is a damn hard topic to write a book about but David Levithan did a great job.

13. Most thought-provoking/life changing book of 2016?
I would have to say Love Is The Higher Law again.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2016 to finally read?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell & City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare - both are books I should have read a long time ago.

15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2016?
"I think if you were somehow able to measure the weight of human kindness, it would have weighed more on 9/11 than it ever had. On 9/11, all the hatred and murder could not compare with the weight of love, of bravery, and of caring." - I mentioned this quote in my review of Love Is The Higher Law and with all of the terrible things happening in the world in 2016, this really stuck with me.


16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2016?
( I covered this in my stats post so this time I'm not including novellas/graphic novel issues)
Shortest: The Grownup by Gillian Flynn - 64 pages
Longest: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling - 620 pages

17. Book that shocked you the most?
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling - I knew about all of the major deaths in this series but there was one very early on in this book that I didn't know about and it completely shocked me.

18. OTP of the year?
Eadlyn & Kile from The Heir/The Crown by Kiera Cass (don't even get me started!) or Clary & Jace from City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

19. Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Nadia & Sam from I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre - I love kids in NA books and Nadia's relationship with Ty's son was just adorable.

20. Favourite book you read in 2016 from an author you read previously?
Flawed by Cecilia Ahern or, to mention a book I haven't mentioned yet, On The Fence by Kasie West.

21. Best book you read in 2016 that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure?
Harry Potter - I finally finished the series this year and I only picked it up in the first place purely because I was getting pressured constantly.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Seriously, I have to choose just one? Here's the top 3:
Caleb - What Light by Jay Asher
Wes - The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Graham - This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith

23. Best 2016 debut you read?
I think Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman was the only one I read.

24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
The Sea Of Monsters by Rick Riordan - from what I've read so far it seems Rick Riordan's books always have great settings.

25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall - the unique way this story is told made it so fun to read. I mean, what isn't fun about reading from the POV of a squirrel or a bench.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2016?
I cry at everything! If I Lie by Corinne Jackson had me sobbing for the last chunk of the book.

27. Hidden gem of the year?
Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman - I've not heard anyone talk about it but I really liked it.

28. Book that crushed your soul?
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - do I need to explain?

29. Most unique book you read in 2016? 
Again, definitely A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall.

30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?
The Crown by Kiera Cass - I really liked this book, don't get me wrong, but I was so angry with how it ended. I still get mad just thinking about it.

 photo looking-ahead-books-2015-900x244_zpsgf2r73e9.jpg

1. One book you didn't get to in 2016 but will be your number 1 priority in 2017?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer - there are so many but I gave The Lunar Chronicles as my answer to this question last year so I think it's definitely about time.

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2017 (non-debut)?
By Your Side by Kasie West - I adore Kasie West and this sounds amazing.

3. 2017 debut you are most anticipating?
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon - so many people are talking about this and it sounds so interesting.

4. Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2017?
Perfect by Cecelia Ahern. the sequel/conclusion to Flawed.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2017?
I'm hoping to be able to find a good balance between read/blogging and uni life. I really struggled to find the time when I started my new course in September, as it is much more work than the last.

6. A 2017 release you've already read and recommend to everyone?
I haven't read any yet.

Well that took longer than I thought it would! That is my 2016 reading year, I hope you had a great one.

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment