Thursday 2 February 2017

Let's Talk | UK YA

 photo UKYA_zpsgxkzfp2y.jpg

Towards the end of 2016, I decided to take a look at the books I had read throughout the year in a bit more detail. I looked at my most read genre, what year the most books were released, whether I read more books from male or female authors, and other similar statistics. One thing that I found particularly interesting was the country in which the author was born or currently resides.

I read a total of 36 books in 2016 and I was shocked to discover I only read books from 5 British authors! To add to the shock, as someone who read predominantly YA, I only read 3 YA books from UK authors - the last two Harry Potter books and Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman. Being from the UK myself, should I not be reaching for book written by UK authors first? Should I not be supporting the authors from my own country?

I'll be honest and admit that I really didn't think about where the author was from before picking up a book I wanted to read before now. I have always just thought that I should read whatever I fancied reading, which I would still say is true to an extent. Throughout 2016, and very much so at the beginning of this year, there has been a lot of talk about reading more diversely. Almost all of the blog posts and booktube videos about 2017 reading goals that I have come across have mentioned wanting to read more diversely this year. Seeing a lot of people talking about wanting to read books from authors from countries other than their own really got me thinking. While I think it's great to want to read more diversely, and more specifically thinking about reading books by authors from all over the world, I think it's very important for me at the moment to be supporting those authors from my own country who I appear to have been neglecting.

When looking into this topic, I came across a weekly (I think?) twitter chat hosted by Lucy from LucyTheReader that focuses solely on UKYA. This twitter chat (#UKYAChat) is basically just a chance to discuss and spotlight YA books and new releases by UK authors, and even by just scrolling through the twitter hashtag I discovered a lot of book I had never even heard of before. I now have a whole list of books added to my TBR, I even discovered a Scottish author that I really want to check out now.

I have decided to make UKYA more of a priority in my reading life this year to show my support for UK authors. As I mentioned, I do have quite a few books I am planning to read but I am definitely looking for recommendations if there are UKYA books that you love and think I need to read. If you have any Scottish YA author recommendations that would be even more amazing!

I apologise if this was a pretty rambly post, it was more just me wanting to get my thoughts down than a well-structured discussion post. I'm not the most concise, I must admit.

Sophie :)

3 comments:

  1. You definitely do need to read more UKYA! Some of my most favourite books are by authors from the UK. We have such a wide range of talent, and there's so many wonderful people championing them too. If you ever need any recommendations, you know where I am!

    Denise | Riot Grrrl Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't believe it's taken me until now to realise how many great authors there are from the UK. I just added some books to my TBR just from checking out your blog so I'll definitely be coming to you for recommendations!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking the same thing recently. I'm from the UK but I don't seem to read many UK books. I have recently read Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard and I really enjoyed it so I really want to read A Quiet Kind of Thunder by her as well. I really need to check out that twitter hashtag you mentioned to get more recommendations!

    ReplyDelete