Tuesday 2 January 2018

Top Ten Tuesday | Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2017


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke And The Bookish. Lists galore, I can think of nothing better!

I cannot believe we have come to the first Top Ten Tuesday of 2018 already! This weeks theme is top ten new-to-me authors read in 2017. As in most years, I read more books by new-to-me authors than by authors from whom I have read before so I have quite a few to chose from for this list.

1. Marcus Zusak
After many years of feeling like I really should pick up The Book Thief, I finally read it in 2017! I was put off by the hype but ended up really loving the book and it's incredible writing.

2. Jessi Kirby
Jessi Kirby's Things We Know By Heart was a book that's synopsis really intrigued me so I added it to my Goodreads TBR straight away and then kind of forgot about. I decided to give it a go on audiobook in 2017 and absolutely loved it!

3. Jennifer L Armentrout
I have had several of Jennifer L Armentrout's books on my TBR for a while now and finally read not one, but two of her books last year. I read both Obsidian and Onyx and though I really enjoyed the first book in the Lux series, the second I didn't love as much. However, I would like to pick up some of her other books, despite not planning to continue with the Lux series.

4. Jojo Moyes
Following all of the hype surrounding Me Before You in 2016, I decided to see what the fuss was about. Despite many people having problems with it, I loved it and plan to check out more of Jojo Moyes works in the future.

5. Katie McGarry
One of the first books I read in 2017 was Pushing The Limits, the first book in the series I had been meaning to get to for years. After absolutely loving it, I had great plans to read the whole series during the year, however only managed as far as the short novella that follows the first book. I would love to read more of this series in 2018.

6. Giovanna Fletcher
I own almost all of Giovanna Fletcher's books and had been desperate to read them for so long. However, it took me until I received an eARC of her 2017 release to finally read anything by her. I really enjoyed Some Kind Of Wonderful and it has made me more desperate to read the rest of her books this year.

7. Estelle Maskame
On a complete whim, I picked up Did I Mention I Love You? in 2017 without really knowing anything about it other than it was the first in a series. I ended up really enjoying it and definitely plan to read the rest of the series soon.

8. Sandhya Menon
When Dimple Met Rishi was a highly anticipated release of many last year, myself included. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I was expecting but the one thing I really enjoyed was the writing. I will definitely be picking up whatever Sandhya Menon writes next to give her another go.

9. Ann Brashares
In order to relive my younger years, I listened to the audiobook of The Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants back in the summer, the book of one of my all time favourite movies. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the books but was pleasantly surprised to find I really enjoyed it.

10. Lauren Oliver
This is another case of didn't love the book but want to give the author another chance. I read Before I Fall and though I didn't hate it, I hated the characters too much to love it. I did like it enough, however, to give Lauren Oliver another chance.

Did you read any new authors this year that you would recommend? Were you introduced to any of the same authors as me in 2017?

Sophie :)

6 comments:

  1. Katie McGarry as an all time favorite of mine. I really enjoy her stories. I want to try Jennifer L Armentrout!! I can't believe I haven't read anything by her yet. Hopefully soon!! Great list <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I can read more from Katie McGarry this year! I would definitely recommend Jennifer L Armentrout and she has so many different books that I think she would have something for everyone.

      Delete
  2. If you're looking for another Jennifer L. Armentrout series you should try her Dark Elements series. That was the first one I read from her and I liked it a lot more than Lux (which I didn't finish either).

    Great list!!!

    Here are my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. She has so many that I'm sure I'll find other books from her that I will love.

      Delete
  3. It looks like you discovered a lot of amazing authors last year! The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and I'm excited about all the new authors I'll discover this year. The Book Thief is a favourite of so many people, I don't know why I didn't read it sooner!

      Delete