Thursday 15 February 2018

Mini Review | My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows

Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows
Series: The Lady Janies #1
Published On: June 7, 2016
Published By: HarperTeen
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction
Pages: 491
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★½

Amazon | Goodreads

Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown… 
Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended… 
Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an EĆ°ian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified. 
The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?

This book is completely mad!
It is like nothing I have ever read before and I'm really impressed with what the authors have done. To take genuine history and be so imaginative and creative with it in order to turn it into an exciting, hilarious story, it's just such an interesting idea and these authors really managed to pull it off.

Not my usual cup of tea.
There is nothing about this book that would suggest this is something I would enjoy. I very rarely read historical fiction and don't read a whole lot of fantasy, of which this book has some elements. This book didn't appeal to me at all before everyone raved about it, but after picking it up I ended up not being able to put it down.

So many great components.
This book had fantastic characters that I really connected with, and enjoyed reading from the perspective of each of the three main characters. It also had a very interesting premise. Historical figures who can turn into animals, how did they even come up with that idea? However, there was much more to this book than just people turning into animals and the story as a whole was very fun and enthralling.

It had me laughing out loud.
It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud while reading, it almost never happens, but this book had me laughing constantly. I absolutely loved the humour in this book, there were so many witty one liners, and some fantastic horse puns, that made this such an enjoyable read.

Overall, I shouldn't have enjoyed this book but I did. My only reason for not rating it higher than I have is purely due to the fact this is not a genre I love so did find it harder to get into that I would have liked. However, for a genre I don't tend to enjoy, I had great fun reading this book and can't wait to see what is to come from these authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment