Monday 2 April 2018

Wrap Up | March 2018

I cannot believe I am wrapping up March already! March has been another horrendous month for me after losing a very close family member at the beginning of the month. However, despite everything going on in my personal life, I still managed to read 4 books, which is more than I had expected to read given the circumstances. Again I read predominantly ebook this month so my physical TBR isn't shrinking as much as I would like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer -
This is a contemporary novel following one of the characters from Brigid Kemmerer's previous work Letters To The Lost, which I received from Netgalley knowing nothing about the first book. I was worried I would struggle having not met these characters before but I shouldn't have worried. This follows Rev and Emma who both have their own home issues going on but meet by chance one night and try to help each other through their problems. This wasn't anything special but I did enjoy it, particularly Rev and his story. It was quite an intense read, that ended up getting a lot darker than I expected, but still a fun to read.
Rating: 3/5 | Review

In Search Of Us by Ava Dellaira -
Ava Dellaira's debut, Love Letters To The Dead, is a book I have had on my Goodreads TBR for about 4 years now and haven't got around to, so when I saw she had a new release and read the intriguing synopsis I was desperate to pick this one up. This follows a girl named Angie who is searching for the father she was told had died, as well as her mother, Marilyn, at 17 falling in love for the first time. This was unlike anything I have read before. I haven't read anything with such different storylines being told alongside each other. I enjoyed both stories equally, and I really liked how the book dealt with topics such as race. However, I did have some issues, like the unnecessary romance.
Rating: 3/5 | Review

Student Nurse 60s Style by B Park-Dixon -
I've been in the mood for some non-fiction recently so I picked up this short memoir documenting life as a student nurse in the 1960s. It was interesting to read about the differences in both nurse training and health care between then and now, and more interesting to read about the things that should have changed but have yet to be. It was quite poorly written and could clearly have done with a bit of editing but it was an interesting enough read.
Rating: 3/5

The Worry Website by Jacqueline Wilson -
I loved Jacqueline Wilson as a child so when I discovered that my library had many of her books in their ebook library I decided to revisit my childhood. This was the book I remember most and I remember really enjoying it. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it just as much as an adult. This book is five short stories written from the perspective of different children in a class who are using the 'worry website' to anonymously share their worries with their classmates in order to get some advice. It deals with some really quite complex issues that I definitely didn't comprehend as a child, but as an adult it amazed me to discover just how important this book it. This book shows children that their not alone in their worries and that most of their problems can be fixed if they ask for help. I enjoyed this much more than I was expecting to.
Rating: 4/5

That is everything I read in March. It's quite an interesting mix of books but I did want to read more varied books this year.

Did you read any new favourite books in March? Did you read any of the books I read?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment